The American Federation Code of Ethics
- I will respect both private and public property and will do no collecting on privately
owned land without the owner's permission.
- I will keep informed on all laws, regulations or rules governing collecting on public
lands and will observe them.
- I will, to the best of my ability, ascertain the boundary lines of property on which
I plan to collect.
- I will use no firearms or blasting material in collecting areas.
- I will cause no willful damage to property of any kind: fences, signs, buildings,
- I will leave all gates as found.
- I will build fires only in designated or safe places and will be certain they are
completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- I will discard no burning material, matches, cigarettes, etc.
- I will fill all excavation holes which may be dangerous to livestock.
- I will not contaminate wells, creeks, or other water supply.
- I will cause no willful damage to collecting material and will take home only what
I can reasonably use.
- I will practice conservation and undertake to utilize fully and well the materials
I have collected and will recycle my surplus for the pleasure and benefit of others.
- I will support the rockhound project H.E.L.P. (Help Eliminate Litter Please) and
will leave all collecting areas devoid of litter, regardless of how found.
- I will cooperate with field trip leaders and those in designated authority in all
- I will report to my club or Federation officers, Bureau of Land Management, proper
authorities, any deposit of petrified wood or other materials on public lands which
should be protected for the enjoyment of future generations for public education
and scientific purposes.
- I will appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources.
- I will observe the "Golden Rule", will use "Good Outdoor Manners", and will at all
times conduct myself in a manner which will add to the stature and public Image
of rock hounds everywhere.